Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
1) I hate to be late...and I hate to be early! But, I usually end up being early because its the lesser of the 2 evils in my mind. My mom and sister would probably disagree with that statement, but what they don't know it that it's always Paul's fault when we are late, and if I am late to my mom's or sister's house its only because I know they love me unconditionally!
2) I hate it when people over-use their horns. These are emergency equipment, people!! You are giving me a heart attack when you are honking at your friend, expressing your disgust at the person in front of you who is slow to go at a green light, or making a driving decision you don't agree with! Obviously, they are never honking at me!
3) That sound that people make when they are trying to cough something up and spit it out. Worked in a hospital for 15 years...enough said!
4) When a game, puzzle, or set of cards has a missing piece. I make everyone turn the house upside down until it's found. If it can't be found, the whole thing has to be thrown out!
5) Laundry. It is the most ungratifying of housework! It is never done! Just when I think it's done, I will be putting away the last load and find a stash of dirty clothes in one of the kid's rooms, under the bed, between the bed and the wall, in the closet, in the bathroom, in the drawers...I think you get the idea! I have to say I hate it less now that I love my laundry detergent!! I guess it's just the dirty laundry I hate!!
Okay, more about me than you ever wanted to know after the past few posts! I hope to hear pet peeves from Beryl, Krystal, and Vicki!
Monday, October 27, 2008
I was not totally excited about the Island Salad that I made for the Caribbean Night party because I LOVE it and haven't had it in months! I was not appalled to discover the ingredients cost over $10 (it's SALAD people, not steak) though I did double the recipe. I was not more appalled to discover that the boy (who shall remain nameless) carried the leftovers into the house and left them out on the counter all night...
I did not refuse to help knock down spider webs around the pool when I helped my friend Kate clean again. I am not superstitious! Not me! If you missed this story, check it out here.
I also did not discover that when I agree to help her out and not actually work for pay, I have a much better attitude, and I don't have to think to myself for one minute "I am not getting paid enough to do this!" Thanks Kate for letting me be a blessing to you! I do not agree that its better to give than receive!
I did not get so frustrated with Alayna when I decided she could ride her bike the 1.5 miles around our neighborhood while I took my run. She did not have trouble steering her bike. She did not run me off the sidewalk several times. She did not get knocked off her bike when she ran me off the sidewalk, placing her training wheel under my foot, causing me to fall into her and knock her off. I did not decide that the trip around the block was good enough because I certainly got my heart rate up trying to control my tongue and temper!
I did not agree to go on an interval run with my friend Kristin, knowing full well she wanted to go 5 miles and that I have NEVER run that far in my life, and haven't run more than 2 miles at a time in the past several months! We did not meet on a Saturday morning while my kids were still sleeping and run in the pouring rain. I did not immensely enjoy getting to know her better on our "run". I did not have to put "run" in quotation marks because we ran the entire 5 miles!! I was so pleasantly surprised at my amazing endurance, and stamina! I did not quit just after the half way mark. NO, NOT ME!! Thanks for putting up with me, Kristin!
Finally, we do not have a slight case of baseball fever around here! I did not allow my boys to stay up past 9pm on a school night because the Tampa Bay Rays were playing in the World Series. I did not justify this by remembering Riley's coach encouraged him to watch it so he could take note of their batting techniques. I do not think my son could take some cues from the guys up against the 90 mph pitches! I do not think its odd that we have NEVER as a family watched a baseball game until now. I was not sad that I found it impossible to stay awake until midnight when the game was over. I was not glad that I was able to find out the results of the game in 2.2 seconds since that is all everyone around here is talking about. Apparently, we are not the only ones around here who are not having a case of baseball fever!
So, there you have it, another week of soul baring confessions. I feel so free! I hope you'll join me! Besides, how will I know what to tease you about??
Sunday, October 26, 2008
Friday, October 24, 2008
7) I am so excited about coming "home" in less than 2 weeks! I pray we can see as many of our friends and family possible! We are so hungry for familiar places and faces! I keep checking the list of RSVPs for our dinner on Saturday night, so get your reply in!!
Okay, I'll not tag anyone this time, this was a really fun way to get to know friends even better!
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Here are the rules:
1) Link to your tagger and list these rules on your blog
4) Let them know they've been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog
Here goes, wow these last few posts have been quite a time of confession and transparency for me!
1) I NEVER wore flip flops until this summer (not even when I was a kid). Why? Because I think they look ugly on my feet and my husband says I have "duck toes" because of the gap between the big toe and the next one. Apparently I got over it because I now wear them so often that I have tan lines! See:
2) I do not snack. It's not that I don't like food, I just have other things on my mind and don't think about it. My daughter snacks every 2 hours. It makes me crazy to drop what I am doing to get her a snack when I feel no need for one. It makes me crazier to try to find snacks she can reach, fix and eat all by herself!
3) I am in LOVE with my laundry detergent! When I catch a whiff of it, it makes me smile! When I hug my kids and smell their clothes, I think, wow, their mom loves them so much, see how good their clothes smell! I even think other people must surely think this way as well. They surely think I REALLY love my kids because they smell so clean and fresh. I call it the smell of love! I always wanted to buy this laundry detergent, but we shopped at Sams in Iowa and Paul always bought the 5 gallon bucket of laundry detergent. Now I am free to buy Gain! Crazy aren't I???
Alayna and Mimmy
Alayna fixing Mimmy's "hair"...see the ponytail holders on the blanket?
5) I have only had 1 date with my husband in the past 6 months (we went to a screening of Fireproof before it was released into theaters!). Our 15th Anniversary was practically ignored since we moved into the house we are renting on that day.
6) My favorite things to do as a family are playing games, board games, dice games, card games, but best yet, baseball or volleyball. We got to do both in one day last Saturday! Riley had a game and afterward, the Prachars took the field for our own game! We played volleyball later that night at some friends' house where we went for dinner. We had so much fun!
The bleachers we have spent a significant amount of time in lately! See the flip flops??
Paul on the pitchers mound and me playing first base! Alayna was a surprise photographer!
Here she was in the dugout and caught Paul still pitching and one of the boys on 3rd base. How 'bout that red dirt??!
She apparently couldn't resist taking a picture of herself!
7) I am certain that the election will predict how close we are to the end of the end times. This is strictly my OPINION based on reading I have done recently on end times prophecy. You may disagree all you want...on your blog! Anyway, I think if Obama is elected that will mean a shorter time to the "end" because he is not loyal to Isreal and there is no mention of a Western power in any end time prophecy, so we will likely abandon Isreal to her own problems with him at the helm (or get blown off the map) which would explain why no mention of the US in end time prophecy. McCain is loyal to Isreal and it would make me think things were still a ways off if he gets into office. NOW, that being said, I do not think I can predict when the end will come since the Bible makes it clear that no knows the hour or the day, but we were given prophecy so we can interpret the times...and I'm just sayin'....
Monday, October 20, 2008
I did not stay up past 1 am several nights in a row when Paul was out of town. I do not need someone to tell me when to go to bed...I am an adult and I can tell time and I know when a sensible bed time is without someone to hold me accountable!
I did not sleep on Paul's side of the bed while he was out of town. I was not aghast when I told him I missed him and was sleeping there to feel closer to him and his response was not something equally sweet and loving, instead was "So, what's new? You always sleep on my side--I get six inches of bed!" I am sure he was not exaggerating or anything. We have a queen size bed and he is 6'7" tall and weighs twice what I weigh (but he's not fat), but I am sure that I am the one hogging the bed!
I did not feel like I was getting ripped off when I was charged $10 for transferring my contacts from my old cell phone to my new one, and was told not to worry about the sales tax when I paid in cash. I called Paul and told him what happened and he had to talk sternly to me to get me to turn around and confront the woman at the Verizon store. I went in and asked for a receipt (which she gave me).
I did not consider getting caught in a downpour this week as good as a shower and skip it for the day...after taking a run. Ewwww, who would do that?? Not me!
I did not have to run Holden's lunch out to him in the driveway in my pajamas...consisting of my short t-shirt and underwear. I did not try to stretch the t-shirt over my underwear with one hand while holding the lunch with the other and scrunching down to help lengthen it. Everyone in the car did not notice I had no pants on, we do not live on a main road in our development and it wasn't time for people to be leaving for work...thank goodness!
Finally, last week, I did not bark orders like a drill sergeant at my children when I realized we had 45 minutes to organize a trunk full of frozen cookie dough from the school fundraiser, deliver it, reorganize the freezer for those deliveries not in our neighborhood, make and eat dinner (thankfully there were rice and beans leftovers), get ready for baseball practice, put away groceries and figure out how to save ripe bananas that fell out of the back of the van onto the ground and tore away from the top stem (they were for the cross country meet). We were not 15 minutes late...I do not hate being late! Nope, not me!
I can't wait to hear what your week did not entail!
Saturday, October 18, 2008
Each child got to pick out a pumpkin to take home. This is her class.
See, it looks like fall now!
Henry gave us a tour of the farm. The kids got to pick an onion and smell fresh basil leaves. They dropped them on the ground and I picked them up to put in my rice and beans!!
The peacocks lost their magnificant tail feathers due to the heat. They'll grow back this winter.
We took a hay rack ride through the farm and orchard. Orange and grapefruit trees are heavy with fruit which will be ripe soon!
Their coach prayed with them before the boy's race.
Afterward, Gabe got to talk to his dad and tell him what happened and hear his well wishes and how proud we were of him for gutting it out!
This is a video of Gabriel at the start line. I intended to video more each time I saw him, but I missed him and then forgot where my camera was...oh well, next time!
Friday, October 17, 2008
1) Like Molly, I am a clean freak. This is not so hard to admit, but the juicy stuff is coming...I promise. I think I make everyone around me crazy with this character flaw. My husband not included because he is just as steeped in it as I. I have helped out in GCC's nursery for years (since I have had a child in there for over 11 years!), and I am always picking up toys, almost constantly because I HATE having so many out that the kids trip over them or step on them and break them. I also do this at other people's homes where there are several kids playing. I may even reorganize all their toys for them (and I really ENJOY it). I make my children crazy keeping our house clean and trying not to freak out every time I find a sock between the bed and the wall. They will need many years of therapy to get over this, I am sure. I have harnessed this into my "project" which I now have a copyright for and hope to sell soon, and will sell you a copy if you want one! Email me for more details!
2) I agree with Natasha! I HATE to wait. Even 2 seconds is too long. I feel frustration well up inside me if I ask my kids to do something and they don't instantly reply "Yes Mom!!" with such enthusiasm and instant action so I know they are going to do whatever I have asked them to do. I see more therapy in their future...how 'bout you? I drive too fast because I don't want to wait to be wherever I am going. Don't get me wrong, I don't purposely break the speed limit (right honey?), but if I am not concentrating on keeping it under the speed limit, I will be passing everyone and arriving first somewhere...isn't it a race?? Don't I get a prize for the fastest time??? Cut me some slack, my dad was a race car driver--seriously!!
3) I hope none of you have EVER noticed this, and I hate to admit it, but one side of my...oh, how do I phrase this... rear is bigger than the other. It has been like that for years. Before swim skirts, it was always hanging out of my swimsuit while the other side was neatly tucked away. There is actually an extra roll of FAT on it!!! My sister can attest to this!! 4) I often forget what a HOTTIE and great catch my husband is. I take him for granted. Let me extoll his greatness for a few seconds. He is the BEST dad! He always has been a hands on dad, taking care of our babies while I worked nights, doing the baths, bottles, diapers, etc by himself many a night. He is a neat freak...enough said. He thinks I am just as beautiful and sexy as when we first met (can you say "rose colored glasses"), and reminds me of that often. He's HOT and just getting better with age! See:
5) I could spend ALL day on the computer checking blogs, reading blogs of people I don't even know, shopping, and e-mailing. I feel extra loved when someone leaves a comment on my blog. Those "regular" commenters must surely love me the most!! You know who you are! I have to force myself to shut it down and get work done and I feel lost when I go all day without checking in (like for the last 2 days). Whenever there is a free moment, you know where you'll find me!
Wow, that was hard to come up with things I hate to admit, but was willing to, or haven't already admitted to not doing them on Mondays! So, to keep this thing going, and see everyone else's little secrets, I will tag JoDee, Marcie, Stephanie, Jeanie, Shelley, Becky, and Kate. I didn't see any rules on how many to tag, so I will take advantage of that!
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
A blog I read (Angie Smith, Bring the Rain in my blog roll) has been such an inspiration to me lately after she and her husband lost their 4th daughter due to congenital abnormalities which made her incompatible with life. She asked her readers to leave their stories in her comments, requesting the honor of praying for each person who has lost a child. I just checked to see how many women have left their stories and requests for prayer and there are over 1,500. My heart aches for each of these stories, yet in the few of them that I read, there was that same hope that I was given in drawing closer to God for comfort, and my heart is filled with joy too. Please pray for a new friend of mine who just miscarried today as she joins the ranks of those who have endured the loss of a sweet baby.
…and provide for those who grieve in Zion-
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair…
Monday, October 13, 2008
I know what you are thinking: "Boy, those Prachars are really roughing it there in Florida!" You couldn't be more right! God is good!
Riley shows how to avoid a sunburn at the beach...at least on your face!
Finally, I have a prayer request for a friend's family. This is a picture of a sorority sister of mine from William Jewell College. Actually its 2 of my sisters and a guy I don't think I ever knew. Anyway, on the left is Angie Vincent Elliott and on the right my friend Leigh Anne Dunbar. They were on a ski trip while I was studying Organic Chemistry during Winterim (2 week class between fall and spring semesters). I never knew Angie to drink beer, so I am pinning the beer can on the unknown boy in the photo by the way. Hard to focus here, I just don't know how to begin. Angie had been fighting Inflammatory Breast Cancer for several years and lost her fight on October 9th. I just found out today and would like to ask for prayer for her incredibly supportive husband, in-laws, and her family who all mourn her loss. She was so brave and never gave up until Jesus took her home to finally rest. She was an inspiration and fought hard for research and even did some Washington lobbying. Thanks for your prayers. The prayers of the righteous have great power as it is working (James 5:16)
Sunday, October 12, 2008
I am NOT posting early in spite of being put off by the 60+ people who did so last week, and I did not say that I was above such behavior...only to join them this week (if you can't beat them, join them, huh). I just returned from linking and am NOT totally disappointed to find myself in the 40's!!
I did not feed my family rice and beans for 4 meals this week.
I am not forcing them to eat it all month Monday-Thursday so they can learn to appreciate the fabulous choices we have here in the US, and all the delicious, healthy, widely varied meals their mom fixes them on a regular basis. Or so they could have a glimpse into the lives of the kids in Haiti.
I am also not really happy about the $$ I am saving by serving up this menu item. Nope, not me!
I did not refuse to allow my husband to have a bowl of cereal instead of rice and beans on Thursday night. I am not that much of a control freak, and I would never tell him what to do....after all he is a grown man!
I did not pull the starving kids in Haiti card when a child started to complain about the dinner menu this week. Not me!
I did not feel totally loved and cared for after my husband washed, dried, vacuumed, changed the oil and air filter in our van. I know he loves me even when he is not acting like my personal slave!
I was not totally excited about my new (free) yard stick and 2 (also free) flyswatters! That would be a pathetic thing to be excited about, wouldn't it??
While taking a spin in Agape's flight simulator at the Community Expo, I did NOT knock off the laptop that was running the simulator as I was performing a barrel roll in the plane. I also did not "overstress the engine" (i.e. crash) while playing on the simulator. Nope, not me!
I have NOT enjoyed reading all of your posts for those of you who have joined me (Melanie, Kristen, Ben and Dollie), and I do not hope more of you will join the fun! What have you NOT been doing????
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Thank you for submitting your registration claim using the Electronic Copyright Office (ECO) System. We received your application and fee for the work Spring Clean, Year Round on 10/08/2008. The following applies to registration claims only (not preregistrations): To complete your registration, you must upload the material you wish to register OR submit a hardcopy version via postal mail. For hardcopy submissions, be sure to print out and attach a shipping slip from eCO. The effective date of the eCO registration will be established only when we have received all three elements - namely, the electronic application, the fee and the material you wish to register in its entirety. When the registration has been completed, we will send your paper certificate by mail. You may check the status of this claim from your personal account home page using this number [**********].[THREAD ID: ********]
United States Copyright Office
Amazing! Now I just need a publisher to fall out of the sky...anyone...anyone????
Monday, October 6, 2008
I did not eat chips and mango salsa for breakfast (I did not justify my decision this way: mangoes=fruit, jalapeno peppers=veggies, cilantro=veggie, lime juice=fruit...sounds nutritious!) I also did not eat it directly from the bowl, double dipping as I went because that would be gross, I might as well have put my entire mouth in there!!
The Agape crew get a closer look at their prize.
This is how the pilots will board the plane once it is loaded!
Does anyone else see the resemblance to Vanna White????