Photos courtesy of Ryan Prouty

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

October 15th

Today is National Day of Remembrance for pregnancy and infant loss. This includes all babies who have died because of miscarriage, stillbirth, SIDS, or any other infant death. This day is a special day for me as I can be reminded of not just the personal loss I have suffered (three precious babies waiting for me in Heaven), but most importantly of God's perfect faithfulness. My miscarriages were my private struggle with my husband because we hadn't told anyone we were pregnant before they happened. We were isolated together and God showed us that through all the pain and uncertainty, He was enough for us. Even when I was looking at my "track record" of 6 pregnancies and only 3 living children, He taught me that He could bring beauty from the cold ashes of my pain. Not only was I immensely blessed with my daughter (who I wouldn't have if either of the last 2 miscarriages hadn't taken place), but I was drawn close by the Father who is the perfect comforter and held tightly in His grasp, walking closely to Him...after I got over blaming Him and shutting Him out of my life in anger that is! Give me a break, I am human after all!!

A blog I read (Angie Smith, Bring the Rain in my blog roll) has been such an inspiration to me lately after she and her husband lost their 4th daughter due to congenital abnormalities which made her incompatible with life. She asked her readers to leave their stories in her comments, requesting the honor of praying for each person who has lost a child. I just checked to see how many women have left their stories and requests for prayer and there are over 1,500. My heart aches for each of these stories, yet in the few of them that I read, there was that same hope that I was given in drawing closer to God for comfort, and my heart is filled with joy too. Please pray for a new friend of mine who just miscarried today as she joins the ranks of those who have endured the loss of a sweet baby.

…and provide for those who grieve in Zion-
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair…

Isaiah 61:2-3


My four amazing blessings...I love you more than you will ever know!!!

6 comments:

Football and Fried Rice said...

There are hardly words to ease the pain, but Our Father will make us perfect in Him and those babies that we have lost are perfect in Him now! Remembering those who have been called Home!!

Love you!
Sara

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to meet those sweet babies either. BTW, thanks for making me cry before school starts. You have a gift... I love you. Thank you for sharing.

The Homemaker's Resource said...

Thank you for this post, Travis. I contemplated a similar post yesterday, and am glad that you did it.

I got a call from my best friend from college and she just had a miscarriage two weeks ago. What a blessing it was to my heart to be able to share with her and help her. Thank you for being one of those people for me with the losses that we have suffered.

Thank you for your friendship and the support!

Spear Family said...

I have also lost two babies. One of the hardest areas to find healing in, is the loss of a child. There is such an unconditional love in this relationship that it is very difficult to see beyond the loss. God is great! Anissa

CihaPet said...

All I can say is wow...

The Blackley Tribe said...

Travis- thank you for the reminder and for the scripture. I found a lot of comfort in Lamentations 3:22-24 when we suffered our 2 losses. Your post made my current complaints of aches and pains more bearable and joyous while reflecting back on the past 2 years. God is good! Thank you for your transparency!