Photos courtesy of Ryan Prouty

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Visitors!!



We have been so blessed to be able to receive some guests over the past month! Dear friends Hanson and David Bloesch came to visit from Iowa when they were able to get great air fare deals! They came in and got to visit Busch Gardens with Paul and then hang out at our house for a couple days and see friends in Fort Meyers as well. Alayna was thrilled that they brought their son Phillip who is almost 3 and a great playmate. He didn't do a lot of swimming in Iowa, but he sure got used to it quickly while they were visiting! One night the kids spent a long time in the pool playing together:

They went to visit Agape:
And took in part of Riley's baseball game:

And crashed hard after all that fun!
We all had great time getting to know each other better and renewing acquaintances!
THEN, we had some cold blooded visitors pop up in various places. This snake came to visit us at church. Holden was very brave and held and took the snake to a safer place. Alayna and her friend Zoe were enthralled and not scared at all. I guess he was just a tiny snake...but I still ran the other way when he started slithering on the ground again!
Then, a week later, we found this snake on our way home from church...there must be something about going to church that makes spotting snakes easier...
This guy was a bit bigger...as long as Holden is tall!
And in the same day we spotted this guy warming himself in the sun. Now, I don't know how many of you are still reading this blog, or who read the story I told you about the frog that jumped on my leg while we were running past a lake in our neighborhood and talking about hearing an alligator in the water who was "following us", but this was that body of water we were running by and this is the guy I am convinced I heard in the water when we would run! I was glad to see that he was a small one, since Paul was just going to take off running away if I were attacked!
Then, we had some warm blooded, Iowa visitors again in early October! The Gehling family drove down with their kids to a condo at Daytona Beach for a few days and then came to see us! Unfortunately, Paul was in Colorado Springs and I had to work, and I felt like the WORST hostess EVER! We did get to take a quick trip to Myakka River State Park when Riley's baseball game was cancelled. This giant alligator came right over to show off as soon as we got there. I was very relieved they got to see him close up! The water was very high since we were there this summer and I was a bit afraid they wouldn't get to see any alligators. He didn't disappoint!
Alayna was thrilled to have kids come to visit again! She and Dade are just a few days apart in age, and having girls to play with made these visitors extra special!

Here are the Gehlings posing on a horizontal palm tree at the canopy walk at the park:The kids were such troopers to climb all the way up the lookout tower...I think they tolerated it better than the grown ups did! Every time I am up here I am reminded at how flat Florida is. You can never get up and look down on things unless you climb up this tower!



Thanks to all our visitors for coming and bringing a piece of home to us! Just to see familiar faces and hear familiar voices is an amazing blessing!

1 comment:

Emily said...

I'm glad that you've been getting some visitors, at least the warm blooded kind! I do have to say, though, I'm a bit jealous that we're not there, too!